Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Unplugged. Literally.

So, as almost anyone who knows me knows - I thrive on being connected. In the loop. Online. Plugged in to anything and everything going on!

Well about 5 weeks ago, my precious, tiny, fits-in-my-purse, netbook computer finally crapped out. Ok so it was overrun with some kind of icky virus and I'm still waiting on a knight in shining geekdom to come and rescue it. And me! Needless to say, without the daily dose of FB/Blogger/Gmail/etc, I have missed out on quite a lot. Events. Messages. Photo albums that crash my ancient, cheap-o phone that I refuse to part with...le sigh. It's lonely out here in the 1800s...my hoop skirt has broken and I can't even Google how to repair it.

To make matters 90 times crazier, during this period of - let's just say - anachronistic "fun", quite a large life change possibility has come about - and me with no way to research it day and night! *pulls out hair* Fixing the netbook was lovingly added to my honey's to-do list and was then rather cast aside by said honey. I'm beginning to suspect him of desiring to keep me unplugged...but no such luck! He is sleeping and I have hijacked his work laptop for the night! I may never sleep!

Back to the "big change" - M has been searching dilligently for a new/better/family friendlier job and he just may have found it. More money. Less hours. Less travel. Buuuuuut (oh of course there's a but)...it's in Van...Buren...Arkansas.

Kill me.

Big city girl + small small town (no mall no airport!) = disaster! Talk about the ultimate unplugging!

I don't deal well with change. I haven't changed my hair in years. I've moved 3 times in my entire life. My idea of "going away to college" was moving 30 minutes away from my Mom and Dad. The very thought of moving 5 hours away from my friends and family here has yielded more than a few panic attacks, let me tell you. If said move happens, it may just break me. I may crack. Rocking chair + attic = home? Possibly. Help!

Ok yes,
I am dramatic.
I was born this way.
Mom said that as a child, I was the princess from "The Princess and the Pea"...you know the one.
Once I discovered boys and cattiness, I was Scarlett O'Hara.
And then I chose the boy whom I would allow to bring me barbecue while I sit under a tree surrounded by cute...er...married my stubborn/control freak/twin of an only child husband and things have only gotten way more interesting! He's a gypsy. Lord help us!

Share with me, if you will, your experiences with big moves. Away from family. And friends. And the city. Oh my my...*fans self*

2 comments:

  1. Oh Grace, what to say. It's hard! I'm sorry to say that, but it is, but I will say that 5 hours really isn't too bad, it's a drivable weekend. I would look at it as an adventure, exploring something new together and if it means Marty will be home more, that's huge! Good luck on this tough decision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grace, that is tough! I am happy to hear Marty would be home more, but can't imagine being away from family and friends while raising a child. Think about the positive like Kerry mentioned. It doesn't have to be a permanent move- Maybe just temporary. It would be a nice change for you and Marty to be together more and for him to see William more. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete