Monday, March 22, 2010

Lost...

...in the most fabulous book I have read in months (possibly years) - Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. Yes, I realize I am a few years behind on my book list (and I'm also aware that the sequel to my current read was released in December! oh no!), but geez, cut a new Mom a little slack ;)

I used to read all day and all night - any chance I got. Anything I could get my hands on. Novels. Essays. Lit Crit. Newspapers. Memoirs. Vanity Fair political pieces all the way down to celeb bios. I would drift off almost every night with someone else's story in my head....ahhhh peace.

My how the tables have turned. I always imagined that staying home with a baby would be so calm and idyllic. Cuddling in the soft glow of the home fire. Baby boy entertaining himself while I whip up an amazing dinner for hubby. Quiet. Naps? ... So so wrong :) W can hardly sit still through a reading of Goodnight Moon! haha Why doesn't anyone ever warn you that babies require CONSTANT attention? haha I swear those darn 'What to Expect' books need to add a chapter or 2 about the day-to day! Did I mention I had zero baby experience prior to having W? Maybe I'm the only one being whacked with these blindsides :)

Needless to say, reading time around here is at a premium. Until I collapse into bed at night, I seldom have a thought that does not involve W or M or a to-do list a mile long. Even upon collapse, my head refuses to cycle down! This was all true until Sunday evening when along came 334 pages of delicious from my very own sweet Mom (and fellow armchair traveler).

I'm reading at night again and it is amusing me to no end (thank you Mommy!). There are many other things (laundry, dishes, dusting) I could/should be doing, but I'm not! *twinge of guilt* I am on my way back to my down comforter and Italy...contented sigh...

Take time for your own mental vacation today. If you want to, you are more than welcome to join me in Naples - the "word pizza" here is ridiculous.

3 comments:

  1. I LOVED Eat, Pray, Love. I didn't realize there was a sequel. I did hear that Eat, Pray, Love was made into a movie and will/is/has be playing at the Anglika in Plano.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Moms-only" play date to see that for sure!! The second book is called "Committed - A Skeptic Makes Peace With Marriage".

    Here's the link:
    http://www.amazon.com/Committed-Skeptic-Makes-Peace-Marriage/dp/0670021652/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269566521&sr=1-1

    ReplyDelete
  3. you need to read Firefly Lane!! It's a must read.

    ReplyDelete